[singlepic id=293 w=450 h=250 float=none]Lieutenant Olive’s Quarters
Lieutenant Olive seated on the ramp leading up to the doorway of his quarters, alongside Fijian sentries and two Europeans. The building is symbolic of high status and authority, built on a raised yavu mound faced with stones, with a high roof and projecting ridgepole wrapped with white cowrie shells.
Nasova or Waitovu barracks, Ovalau Island, Fiji. Photographed by F. Dufty, c 1875. P.99785.VH